Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

“God is a Gentleman” – Dr. Tom Milam

“God is a Gentleman” – Dr. Tom Milam
Romans 2:4 and Jeremiah 31:3
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?  Romans 2:4  
The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. Jeremiah 31:3  
My breath was taken away when I beheld that gentle, soft, scarred hand knocking upon the door of my heart and left its marks of blood that penetrated to my very soul.  How could I turn away such affection? When loving kindness offered me final victory over the terror and awful judgment that my sins earned?  I remember well the last few steps I took towards the Fathers house were fresh with His kiss upon my neck and the music of welcome home my child vibrating and dispelling the grief and shame of a prodigal.
When the iron fist of the law came, he brought gloom and doom.  He rattled my door with fury and that heavy hand jarred that door so that it trembled and strained at its locks and hinges.  I could not admit this seemingly forceful intruder with his harsh demands.  I stacked all I had against the door in desperation hoping this accuser would take his leave.  I made the bold statement, “I cannot live up to what this master requires!”  When that bearer of impossible rules departed, I heard that knock of a Gentleman, tenderly tapping with grace and mercy.  I could do nothing but fall to my knees with humble rejoicing, crying, “Come in, Come in!”  I cannot turn away such gestures of love that has stood out in the dew and coldness of the long weary nights of my rejection.  When I looked and saw His hair wet with the drops of the night still upon Him, and His eyes cast upon me with deep-set longings, to be fulfilled by my willingness to receive His desires to dwell with me.
I lifted my unworthy head and said, “Your love has won my heart!”  Gods longsuffering, loving-kindness and forbearance, wins every time.  What the strictness of the law could not do, Jesus does with His nail scarred hands.  His effectual calling brings conviction, then confession; of such which brings faith and repentance.
So I can truthfully say, He drew me, I followed and found out that His love is genuine and utterly divine.
“Law and terrors do but harden,
All the while they work a love;
But a sense of blood-bought pardon,
Will dissolve a heart of stone.”
~C. H. Spurgen~

3-1-11 Tom Milam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog